Sunday, June 6, 2010

I finished...

and I qualified for the Boston Marathon. But I am definitely not running it. I did the first half (13.1) in 1:54+ and the second half in about 2:01, so I finished in 3:55.15--6th in age (I have to find out how many were in my age group, but I'm guessing a hundred or more). I'm very satisfied with my time. I need to retire from marathoning while I'm ahead--all four have been under 4 hours. Around mile 22 though, I was remembering why I hadn't done one in 10 years--it's really not fun at that point!

The day dawned cloudy and 60s, which is what it's been since we got here. Naturally, before we hit the halfway mark, the sun burned brightly. That is the one weather type that Bob cannot handle. He gets dehydrated so quickly, and that did him in today. I also have to take some blame, because I went out a little faster then what we'd planned (9 minute miles). It's really hard when your adrenaline is going and there are lots of racers to pass.

Weather doesn't really bother me, except for the sunburn I got. The bands early on were great early on; I can't say I paid much attention during the last 5-6 miles. There were lots of cheerleaders too and twice there were groups of men in drag. I couldn't tell if they were the same or a different group. I tried to watch as much as possible, but that's not my strong point when running.

What I did love is that I wore all pink, so I really stood out. I ran, for the first time, in a skirt--and I loved it. It was so comfortable and no chafing. I also had my name on my arms and people called out with my name or referenced the pink. I also had a lot of people come up to me with heartfelt words (because of the shirt I was wearing). They really helped drive me to the finish. One young man who could read English, but not speak it, passed me at about the 22nd mile and said some word to me--I have no idea what--but the tone of his voice was so sincere. I saw him at the end and he said a few more words and then hugged me. It was really touching! I could just tell by his tone and gestures that he was a really good person.

The finish was quite emotional as I thought about it being just about a year to the day that I started chemo. Even though the marathon hurt more, it was many times better!

When I get one, I will post a picture. I have to say, I'm glad this is over. My new goal is to just run for fun!

1 comment:

  1. "Run for Fun" Yahoo! We will hold you to that Kim! That was an amazing time! Congrats! Rest up and Enjoy your life!

    ReplyDelete