Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A little bit of everything!

Even in the cold and wind, it's nice to be the first to make tracks in the new snow. I went out this morning with a thin new layer of snow on the ground--it's beautiful before the cars come out. One of the first things I saw on the road was a fox. I often see deer and turkeys, but there is something special, and unnatural, about seeing a fox in a residential area. He had his breakfast in his mouth so I don't think he even saw me. That was the end of the peaceful run though.

Shortly after, I started getting pelted by little ice pellets--with 20+ mph winds, they hurt. After a couple miles it turned to the big, wet snowflakes. Better, but makes it hard to see. Then the cars came by and made tracks to wreck my clean roads.

We had a couple inches of rain yesterday that melted the snow. That made me want to see how Ellicott Creek looked, so I ran by the bottom and then up top before the water crashes over the falls--and today it was crashing...and roaring! It almost makes you dizzy when the water is moving so fast and is directly underneath you--the water was close to the bottom of the bridge. It's very mesmerizing.

Even though it was cold and windy, it was an interesting run. Nothing beats the early morning before the crowds and noise.

Off to my first class of the semester! :-)

1 comment: