Saturday, January 30, 2010

good, bad, good

So two good and one bad must equal pretty good or at least okay. That must sum up the run this morning. The good news when I woke up was that there was no new snow on the roads, for the first time this week (we'd had between 1-6 inches every morning). The bad news was that it was only 1 degree--though it was 1 above zero. When I went out I felt more good news--it was not windy. By about 3 miles I was warmed up and it didn't feel too bad for the last 8. The biggest issue is that, when it is this cold, your eyes water. When it drips down your face, your cheeks turn to ice crystals. You don't really notice except for when you can see it. Also, your eyelashes--top and bottom--get wet. This causes little icicles, which freeze them together and makes it hard to keep your eyes clear. You can't really wipe it away because your mittens are frozen and hard. You just keep blinking to try to get warmer water to melt them.

We're also collecting the baskets for the fundraiser. Yesterday I received one from Keli at work--Booze and Bucks she calls it. There are several bottles of wine and lottery tickets. I can think of a few people who will be interested in it. I've heard from several out of town friends who are planning on coming to the fundraiser. Hopefully the weather will cooperate so they can really come. I'm excited about seeing everyone and the fun we should have that evening.

It's already the end of January. First week of classes are over. They are big classes (due to cuts and not able to hire more people), but it is always fun to be teaching. Most of the students are pretty interesting and I look forward to a good semester.

Lindsay's visiting Lauren this weekend and going to the going away party for the panda at the DC zoo. Bob and Billy think she is nutty, but I think it would be fun. And, she'll get to see Tommy and her sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment