Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blown in!

I had my muga (heart) scan yesterday. The number was a little low, but high enough that they felt it safe to continue the herceptin. And I was informed I have only three more treatments. I'll be happy not to have to do it, but on the other hand, it's nice to feel like I have some protection from recurrance. My body has to do the work after that.

While I was at the hospital preparing for the test (you get a shot of some radiological material, wait a half hour, get another shot of something that sticks to the stuff in the first shot, and then have the test--I wouldn't make a good doctor with these explanations). Anyway, I was just talking to the lab tech. She's a young girl who runs. She asked what I was training for. I casually told her the San Diego marathon. She told me she was 5 months pregnant, but was having trouble running because she had to constantly go to the bathroom I was telling her that maybe the elliptical machine might be a little more comfortable. We were just chatting.

Well, she must have told someone that she had a patient who was running a marathon. It somehow got to the cardiologist who called my doctor to have her tell me I probably shouldn't be running. She tried to explain to him that I was careful, not running hard, kind of knew what I was doing. She also asked him if he warns his patients that sitting on the couch all day could be harmful to their hearts! I liked that. He insists though that I take a stress test to make sure my heart can withstand the run (little does he know I've already put in a 19 miler). I'm sure part of it is concern for me, but part is probably for liability. I'll get the test, but I feel I'm fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment