Saturday, April 3, 2010

Summer!!

I was wearing fleece pants and gloves as recently as Wednesday and wore shorts and a tank top today. It was 84 degrees--smashed the record high. Couldn't have asked for better spring break weather. I got my bike out and rode the last couple days. It's been great! Back to reality tomorrow, but it could be worse. There's no snow in the forecast. We're actually on track to have the shortest winter ever. It was an odd winter--short but cold! No freezes and thaws--it stayed frozen for months.

Did a 19 miler this morning. It was probably marathon temperature--60s t0 70s. I had no trouble--I don't even need food or drink during that time--but Bob will struggle if it's in the 70s. He doesn't have a good cooling mechanism. (I do need to try to practice drinking water and/or gatorade. It's not good to dehydrate.) I am slow though. Maybe it will work to my advantage and I'll keep the pace up throughout the entire marathon. It's annoying though, but I can feel I don't have the strength or energy or something to go faster. Maybe if my next heart scan in 2 1/2 weeks is low and I have to stop the herceptin for a few weeks my heart function will improve and I'll be able to go a little faster. It will be an interesting experiment.

Spring break is over and there are 6 weeks left of the semester. I worked all week and did our project at Wegmans this morning, so not much break. I had a great turnout from my students and from children in the community at the grocery store. We were very happy for the day before Easter. The families involved seem to really enjoy it. At the store, my students do global book read alouds with the children and then do an activity related to the book. Now we need to find an activity for the parents (a book club for them?). They have become very social with each other now that the kids are comfortable with the structure. My students have done a great job and are so invested in it now. It's been so great, even though it means working every Saturday.

It was fun today--after Wegmans, I met Bob and Lindsay for lunch on Elmwood. If anyone thinks Buffalo is a dying city, they should walk down Elmwood at anytime, but especially on a beautiful spring day!

I dropped off my fundraising check to the hospital yesterday--$3200. I've raised over $6000. Can't wait to see it posted and see the thermometer go over the top. My goal was $5000, so I've exceeded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment