Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The beginning

I guess this is the start. I have until June 6, 2010 to train for the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon and to raise $5000 for Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY. For background on why I am doing this, check out the following article from the October 31 Buffalo News:
www.buffalonews.com/185/story/845279.html

I have a website set up for donations at
http://giving.roswellpark.org/netcommunity/kimtruesdell

More fun though for all in the Buffalo area--on February 28 I am having a fundraiser at Robs Comedy Club inside Dandelions Restaurant in Williamsville. For $25 you get 2 drinks and an evening of comedy. We'll also have theme baskets to auction.

100% of the money raised will go to the Breast Center at Roswell. I am paying all my race expenses.

I am excited about raising the funds for my oncologist in the breast center. One of the medicines I take is an aromatase inhibitor--it's to prevent one of the cancers from recurring. One side effect of the drugs is severe joint pain. Many women suffer terribly from this. Thankfully, I have had no side effects. Dr. O'Connor has noticed that her patients who are even moderately active have much fewer symptoms. We have agreed that she will use the money I raise to begin a research study on the effects of exercise and side effects of aromatase inhibitors. Since so many people are living after their cancer diagnosis, it is very important to look at quality of life issues. I have been lucky to have very few side effects and aftereffects--I attribute a lot of it to exercise, though I don't advocate most people doing as much as I do!

Anyway, this is the start--and I'm ready to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment