Thursday, November 12, 2009

Failed test

I thought I was done worrying about scores on tests long ago, but I only got a 52 on my last one. To prevent recurrance of this latest cancer, I take herceptin as an infusion every three weeks for a year. One of the side effects of the drug is heart damage (mostly temporary). That is the reason for the regular muga scans (and radiation in my body). A muga scan looks at how much blood pumps out of your heart during each heartbeat. Mine has been very high--my heart efficiently pumps the blood out. This last muga scan though showed a drop in the blood pumping, sufficiently so that I could not have the herceptin infusion. It is still in the normal range (though it previously was high), so it's not a worry. I can still run, though can't work on increasing the intensity (speed). Since I've just built up the distance after surgeries and treatment, I'm pretty slow--and I guess that's how I'll stay for now. With this break the heart should go back to its previous functioning. I'll have another scan in a month and then should be able to restart the herceptin.

No comments:

Post a Comment