Saturday, November 14, 2009

AJ Collins, marathon buddy

AJ Collins, my 20 year old nephew, should be receiving his marathon training schedule this weekend. He is a busy college student, but has decided to try to take on this challenge. He's been a lifelong soccer player, but not necessarily a runner, though he did win his age group the one time he entered the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It's incredibly thoughtful that he would do this as he barely knows me. He's lived 3000 miles away, in Southern California, his entire life. He's now a student at Otis College of Art and Design in LA. I think he wants to be a sculptor. I've seen some of his artwork--it's pretty amazing.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised he would want to try this. He has been active in other ways. AJ has twice donated his hair to Locks of Love. He's also been the captain of his Relay for Life four times through high school and college. That's dedication. Now his biggest challenge might be how to get out of the studio and onto the roads to train. I have a feeling it might be a little easier for a 20 year old to get by on minimal training than someone my age. He also won't have to look out his window in the morning in January and February (and March and April and December!) and decide if he can get through the ice and snow.
Good luck AJ--I know you can do it. (And get moving Kelley, his mom; it's almost time to get started on the 10K relay training.)

No comments:

Post a Comment